Friday, May 20, 2011

25 Things about Me: #20

20. My first job was as a paper carrier for the Panama City News Herald. Thanks Mom! I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy.

I was spending the summer at Daddy’s when I got the call from Mother that she had gotten me a job. Now what she said to me on the phone and what I actually heard were two different things. I heard, “Vicki, I got you a job at the News Herald” and what she said was, “Vicki, I got you a job delivering newspapers for the News Herald.” After I processed what she actually said, I understood her to say “Vicki, you and I are going to be delivering newspapers at the crack of dawn.” Great.

It was my senior year of high school. I had to be up at 5:30am every, and I mean every, morning, rain or shine, go get my papers from the News Herald and deliver them to my customers. Then I came home and got ready for school. Sometimes, Mother would do the Saturday deliveries by herself. When I heard her stirring on Saturdays, I would pray while still in my bed that she wouldn’t wake me up. Most of the time she didn't, but I rarely got to miss a Sunday.

Having to be up at the crack of dawn meant that I had an early curfew. It was 10:30pm. So being a senior and having to be in that early, it put a slight cramp in my social life. Although, the gas I would have wasted cruising up and down the Panama City Beach strip was used in my gainful employment.

It wasn’t glamorous, but I’m sure it wasn’t the worse job I could have had at that age. I don’t remember making any money and I’m sure that was because Mother got her cut first. I’m alright with that. She did do most of the work.

No comments:

Post a Comment