Sunday, May 8, 2011

For Mother

I will say, with much bias, I have the best mother.

Over the years, it has been one heck of a roller coaster ride. Our relationship has had its highs, lows, twists and loop-de-loops. Just like a roller coaster, sometimes you laugh, you cry, you scream in terror, and sometimes it makes you sick. This couldn’t be truer about me and Mother.

We’ve come a long way over the years and I can safely say that we are in a really good place. I love her with all my heart and would drop everything if she needed me.

Having her as my mother, I have a lot to be thankful for.  She has been, among other things, my nurse, chauffeur, chef, employer, but most importantly, my teacher. These are some of the things that Mother has taught me or given to me. I’m so grateful for each one.

To love Jesus – As a daughter of a PK, preacher’s kid, faith has been a part of my life from the very beginning. It is my foundation.

Importance of family – Not only the importance of our immediate family, but extended family, too. I witnessed firsthand the care she gave to my Papa when his health was failing. She also continues to visit and call on other extended family members on a regular basis just to make sure they are doing alright.

How to act right – I’ve publically thanked Mother, a time or two, for beating me with anything that wasn’t nailed down or too heavy to kill me when I acted a fool. It has molded me into person I am. I shudder to think about how I might have turned out to be if she didn’t discipline me the way she did.

How to be a hard worker – Mother worked 3 jobs to support our family when my brother, Joe, and I were growing up. From sun-up to sun-down and even longer, she worked to be able to give us the things we needed and sometimes the things we wanted.

Perseverance – Mother has had 3 types of cancer over her lifetime. Through many surgeries and chemotherapy, she has continued to be a fighter. As of today, I’m happy to say, she is cancer free! 

Love for the music from the 50s, 60s and 70s – Mother only listened to the Oldies station on the radio and the only records in the house were Time Life compilations, but I loved every beat.  

Be genuine – Mother isn’t one to “put on airs”. She is who she is and if you don’t like it, that’s fine. Same is true for me. I realize I might not be everyone’s cup of tea, but for some people, I am. That’s what matters.

Love of old movies – Whenever Mother commandeered the TV from me and Joe, the only channel she would watch was AMC – American Movie Classics. Back in the day, AMC showed movies from the 40s, 50s and 60s without commercials. On any given Saturday, she could get in 4 or 5 of them. Great movies like, Miracle in the Rain, The Enchanted Cottage, The Ghost and Mrs. Muir, Mildred Pierce and of course, Hitchcock movies.

How to be mean – Mother didn’t really teach me how to be mean, but how to look mean. This way, no one will mess with you.  We come from a long line of mean. Funny story: Mother came to visit me at work one day. I happened to be in the back room working when she arrived. One of my co-workers came back to get me and he said, “You better come quick. There’s a lady out here asking for you and she looks mean.” I got a little concerned, but when I hit the door and saw her standing there, I said, “That’s not mean. That’s my mother.”

How to deal with the consequences of my actions – I’ve made some doozies of decisions in my life and Mother let me make them. However, in every decision, I was responsible for the fallout. She didn’t always support the decision and looking back it was for very good reasons, but after it ran its course and I realized I was wrong and she was right, she helped me pick up the pieces.

Where to find the best chili cheese dawg on the planet – If you don’t know, now you know. The best chili cheese dawgs can be found at the Varsity in Atlanta, GA.  A trip to Atlanta isn’t complete with a trip to the Varsity and when you go, you’ll know why Chili Dawgs only Bark at Night.

With all that said, I think she is pretty great. Nothing says how I feel about Mother than the words of the Goodie Mob song, Guess Who.

The only one who care for real
and really understands how I feel.
Helped me overcome my fears and
never left me through the years.

So I dedicate this song to you
For all that you brought me through.
I know there’ll never be another
That’ll love me like my mother.

Word. Mama, I love you.

1 comment: