Friday, May 13, 2011

25 Things about Me: #17

17. When I get mad, I shake my fist and yell, “I shake my fist at you!”

Fact: I like to have the people around me feel a constant threat of violence. I want them thinking that at any moment I could be shaking my fist and the next, quickly extend my elbow for a “lights out effect”. I find it reduces a lot of unnecessary interruptions that may happen during any given day.

The fist shake has a lot of applicable situations, but here are 2, of the cuff:

In traffic – It is probably less effective than giving someone “the finger”. However, the fist shake is less offensive and in this day and age, I feel a lot safer just shaking my fist. I don’t want to get shot out there.

When someone ask you to do something that need a quick turnaround – My old boss has been the latest victim of this type of fist shake. I did, in this instance, have to give him the fist shake in an email, but he knew what I meant:

I would admonish you to use forethought when shaking your fist at someone. Before shaking your fist, you should:

Consider your victim – Do you know this person? At what level of intimacy? Stranger, acquaintance or close confidant? Can they handle a fist shake? The level of intimacy in your relationship will determine whether or not a fist shake can play. I find that no one is exempt from the need of a good fist shake, but you might be more discerning.

Consider the offense – At what level of fist shaking will be needed to convey at what level you are irritated. Moderate fuming may warrant a verbal warning with no fist shake. All out unholy rage, my warrant a totally obnoxious fist shake accompanied by yelling from the depths of your bowels. You be the judge.

Consider your surroundings – Are there innocent bystanders? Will there be friendly fire? Again, for me, there are no exceptions. This lends to the consistent threat of violence.

There you have it. You’ve been given a great gift. Use it wisely.

No comments:

Post a Comment