Friday, May 13, 2011

New Kind of Hater Blocker

I was at my mother’s house this past weekend for Mother’s Day. I got in really late on Thursday night and missed noticing the fencing her neighbor had put up since I’d last been there. Now you might be asking yourself, “Vicki, so what? What’s so interesting about this fence?” Well, I’ll tell you.

Normally when someone puts up a fence at their home, they put it around the perimeter of their property. Well, Mother’s neighbor erected about an 8 foot section of 12 foot tall fencing smack dab in the center of his front yard along the road.



From the road, this fencing completely blocks the view of the front of his house.

I thought it strange, so I asked Mother if she knew why her neighbor would put up such an odd sizing of fence. She just so happened to know the story because a lady that she works with is a friend of one of the players in the story.

Now, I don’t know their names, but for the sake of narrative, I’m going to call the man, Don and the woman, Roni, short for Veronica. Here’s how the story goes as told by Mother and literary license taken by me:

Don, who lives in the house behind the fence, was dating Roni, who lives in the house directly across the street from the fence. Their love, as often happens, turned sour and that is when Don put up the fence.  

Short story, I know, but so many questions come to mind when I think about this fence.

·         Who broke up with whom?

·         If Don broke up with Roni, then does the fence block the sight of her for fear he might throw up a little in his mouth every time he sees her?

·         If Roni broke up with Don, then does the fence block the unrequited love Don still has for Roni?

·         What’s going on behind that fence?

·         If Don broke up with Roni, then by putting up the fence is Don keeping his current goings-on private for fear of retaliation?

·         If Roni broke up with Don, then by putting up the fence is Don trying to block out all memory of her and doing his best to move on by having wild parties in his front yard? 

·         Do you think Don stands behind the fence and shakes his fist at Roni?

·         Do you think that Roni sits in her house across the street and wishes that fence would fall on Don?

·         Do you think that Don regrets crossing the street?

·         Do you think Roni regrets not picking up her shotgun at the sight of Don crossing the street?

·         Do you think that the fencing is compensating for something? Hey, Don?

All things considered that fence has got to be one of the greatest things I’ve seen and there are times I wish I had a fence.  I’d like to think that fence stands as a daily reminder of an eloquently phrased set of words tender ears should never hear. Well played, Don. Well played.

No comments:

Post a Comment