Wednesday, June 15, 2011

A Sad Day for Jockey Shorts

Last night was the season 2 premiere of Memphis Beat on TNT. You may remember the title of this show from my blog post, Shows you should watch, but you’re probably not.

Madison and I have loved this show ever since the pilot of season 1. Once we finally got word back in September of last year that it was renewed for a second season, we were ecstatic. I immediately marked that date on my calendar. So, we have been waiting this premiere for a quite some time.

With that said, I’ll submit right upfront that I was a little disturbed by the amount of weight Jason Lee has shed since the end of last season. In most of the publicity photos and season sneak peeks, he looked like a Q-tip (big head, little body), but I was charging on. I love the Jason Lee and his character, Dwight Hendricks.


My worst fears were realized. I’ll set the scene. It is the morning after a fallen police officer’s wake. We find Dwight hung over from the said wake where in which he began a rousing acapella rendition of When the Saints Go Marchin’ In. He is passed out on his couch snuggling his Gibson guitar. There is a knock on the door. It brings Dwight to life. As he turns to get off the couch to answer the door, we see that he has no pants on, but he seems to be wearing something that look like boxers. Sadly, they were not boxers, but alas they were jockey shorts.

Why is it a sad day for jockey shorts you may ask? Jockey shorts on the right physique can be quite becoming. Worn properly, they tend to hug in all the right places. Unfortunately, this pair hung on Jason Lee like sheets on a clothes line. They just hung off of his slender frame, flapping with the passing breeze. They didn't do one good thing for him. This sighting could have potentially tarnished the good name of jockey shorts everywhere.  Unacceptable, at all times. I have thought about giving the producers the benefit of the doubt and would like to think that they were keeping it clean for a family show, but that quickly passed.

I’m glad to report that I was not the only one to think this. On the Memphis Beat’s Facebook fan page, there was an outpouring of similar sentiments. I’m hoping that this will encourage Jason to beef up and redeem the glory of the jockey shorts.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not sure if he gains that weight back, it will go to the place it needs to fill out those shorts...if ya know what I mean

    ReplyDelete