Thursday, April 28, 2011

25 Things about Me: #11

11. My Mom and Dad did most of the work on my 4H projects.

When we lived in Vidalia, Louisiana, I was a member of a service organization called 4H. 4H stands for heads, heart, hands, and health. Each quarter, members would to sign up for service or learning projects. At the end of the quarter, there was a 4H fair where they would show off what they’d learn or created.

One quarter, I decided to sign up for sewing and woodworking because my Mother is handy with the sewing machine and my Daddy is a master wood craftsman. I am sure that when I sign up for these projects, that I had every intention of doing the lion share of the work and my parents would assist me. I couldn’t have been more wrong.

My sewing project was to make an apron with the supplied pattern. I could pick out the fabric and the embellishment, but the apron had to be made to the pattern. Picking out the fabric, rick-rack, and ironing the seams were the only things I was allowed to do on that apron. Mother did the rest. I think she may have let me press the pedal on the sewing machine once or twice, so that if I was asked point blank if I sewed this apron, I wouldn’t have to lie.  Here’s how it turned out. This picture was taken very, very early in the morning. I remember my Mother coming in and telling me to get up quick and put this dress on so she could take a picture of me with the apron on. This is why I look so pleased and my cowlick (the funny part in my hair) is raging.


As for the woodworking project, I was to make a birdhouse. All I can say about that birdhouse is the closest I came to making it was this staged picture. Notice my Daddy in his Army uniform because that’s normally what he wore when he was woodworking.


Needless to say, for a girl my age, there was no way I built those birdcage because it had mitered corners and could probably withstand a tornado.

PS: Both of these pictures were taken the same morning with the help of a quick wardrobe change.

Other projects I conquered were:

Childcare - I was to develop a children’s board game to use while babysitting.  Result: FAIL. How did you know?

Cooking – Cook a main dish. With my Mother’s help, we made a Sheppard’s Pie. I got first place at the Local fair and got third place, cookbook and a crisp $5 bill at the Regional fair. Result: WIN.

Most of that stuff didn’t stick with me for long. Sewing: I can’t sew to save my life and working a sewing machine is out of the question. I am a wiz with a button and no-sew tape. Woodworking: negative. The closest I come to it is drawing plans for pieces of furniture I want Daddy to build for me. Childcare: I laugh in its face. I love the kids I love and will take care of them and them alone.

Cooking is the only one that stuck with me. I’m a great cook and it all began with Sheppard’s Pie.

Here are the other revealed 25 things:

No comments:

Post a Comment