Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Let’s Spin Some Yarn: The Art of Storytelling

My mother has always been a big fan of Lewis Grizzard (RIP: 1946-1994). He was a syndicated columnist for the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, author and stand-up comedian. He was from Moreland, Georgia. My mother is from Bainbridge, Georgia. Lewis was a die-hard University of Georgia fan and so is my mother, even through the Ray Goff years. I believe that she had and read every book that Lewis ever wrote and one live recording of his stand-up on a 60-inch vinyl record (that’s right, VINYL RECORD).


My brother and I listened to that record so much, it’s a wonder it didn’t break and probably if you gave us a running start, we could still recite it today. Therefore, because Mother was a fan, I was a fan.

In his books, Lewis had a way of telling the stories of his life in a way that wasn’t just the facts, but was peppered with his own kind of language and a way of explaining people and places. It was truly spinning yarn. In his columns, he had an interesting take on the every day and mundane. One of my favorite columns, that I cut out and still have, is entitled “Sizzling Ways to Stay Cool until the Winter”.  Here’s an excerpt:

DON’T GO OUTSIDE: this is the most common mistake people make when there is a heat wave. They go outside. That’s where it’s hot, you ninny.
Inside, there’s air conditioning and ice and shade. Outside, you can’t breathe and you’ll sweat and start to smell bad. But you say, “I have to go outside in order to get to work.” That’s another thing. Avoid work. The only things that work in hot weather are mules and fools. Call in hot.

Lewis always had a sideways take on things and it was hilarious. I liken my storytelling style to his. I have opinions that stray from the majority, but as outlandish as they may be, you’re going to laugh at it or maybe just me.  And it’s not so much just to tell my stories, but to bring you, listener or in this case, reader, in and make you feel like you were there or wished you had been. That’s true yarn. Mother, I hope I do you and Lewis proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment